Searching for a new home in Jacksonville, North Carolina can be overwhelming. Where do you even start looking? How do you start the process? Don’t worry, that’s where I come in! This guide I’ve created helps explain the first steps to take in your search.
1. Find a REALTOR® – The first step in your home search is to find a trusted REALTOR®. REALTORS® are there to help you through the home buying process. Think of us as your guide. Our job is to help you find the right house. We will make sure you are not taken advantage of, and make the process as easy as possible. How do you find the right REALTOR®? Interview them! Your REALTOR® should have a variety of experience and expertise to be able to help you during the home buying process.
2. Get Pre-Approved – The next step is to get pre-approved with a trusted, local lender. Your REALTOR® will be able to connect you with one, if needed. The pre-approval will tell you how much house you can afford. It’s easy to get excited and find a house, only to find out you can’t afford it. Being pre-approved also allows you to make a swift offer when you find the right house! Great houses in Jacksonville, NC sell fast, so you want to lock down the one you want before anyone else!
3. Know your “must haves” and “want to haves” – You’ve been dreaming of this home, so you’ve thought about what you want or need in a house. It is important to determine what you actually have to have versus what would be nice to have. The best advice I can give is to make a list of ten things that you want in your new home, and mark which ones are musts. It’s my job to find you a house that meets 7 to 8 of those characteristics. No house is going to be perfect, but we want to get you as close as we can!
4. Research – Decide where you want to live! This is one of the most important factors in your home search and will limit a lot of frustration in touring houses. How far is it to base? What are the schools like? What amenities does the neighborhood have? It’s crucial for you to let me know what you are thinking. We can set you up with alerts for a particular school or a specific neighborhood. That way we don’t waste time looking at homes that don’t fit your needs.
5. Tour Homes – Now comes the fun part! Browse for houses online first. Use up-to-date websites to ensure you are looking at homes that are still available. My website (HomesbyKelli.com) updates each hour, so all the listings you see there are current! When a place you love, make sure to favorite them on the site! Once we start touring, take notes on what you did or didn’t love for each property. It’s easy for the homes to begin to jumble together once we’ve started looking. Those notes will help you to know which homes you want to schedule for a second showing.
Want to learn more about buying a home in Jacksonville, NC? Download my free home buyers guide at: http://bit.ly/HomeBuyersGuide_TipsForBuyingAHome.
Buying a home in Jacksonville, NC and surrounding areas does not have to be hard! With me as your REALTOR® and one of our lending partners—we will make this a great experience for you!